Hello Veggies & Me Readers!
Megan has kindly offered me the opportunity to write a guest post for you today! Given we are both crazy about all things veg, I thought I would share with you my favourite vegetarian and vegan spots in Sydney. I grew up in a vegetarian household where eating healthy was always a top priority. While there were a few questionable years in my late teens and early 20s, today I am the healthiest I have ever been thanks to my newfound love of cooking and sharing my discoveries on my blog Live Healthy Simply.
When I was 21, I decided to adopted a primarily vegan diet due to health reasons. I was suffering from bad allergies and after reading Skinny Bitch I figured it was worthwhile going vegan to see if it made any difference. I lost 5 kilos, my skin improved and my terrible allergies were practically no existent. In the last year I have improved my health even more so by quitting sugar, upping my intake of raw foods and adding fresh juices to my diet.
(Photos: Jess and I enjoyed lunch at Yulli’s on Crown Street)
If you’re a vegetarian or vegan or simply enjoy eating plant based food makes sure you stop by these 10 places next time you are in Sydney!
- Yulli’s – 417 Crown St, Surry Hills. Yulli’s is a vegetarian restaurant that even a meat lover will love! They have a fantastic range of vegan dishes and vegan wines as well as an impressive boutique beer collection. What’s my favourite? The Vietnamese Crepe is AMAZING but you won’t be disappointed with anything you order.
- Iku –CBD, Lower North shore, Inner West and Eastern Suburbs. Iku is a chain of 13 vegan cafes spread throughout Sydney. Where possible they use organic ingredients and many items are gluten free. Run don’t walk.
- Grill’d – Chatswood, Crows Nest, Darlinghurst Crown St, Darlinghurst Victoria St, Harbourside and Parramatta.The place to go to for healthy burgers! There are three vegetarian burgers on the menu and all can be made vegan.
- The Bentley – 320 Crown Street Surry Hills. A modern Australian 2 hatted restaurant with a fantastic vegetarian tasting menu. Perfect for a special occasion.
- Peasants Feast – 121A King St. Newtown. The Peasants Feast is an organic restaurant, which boosts a menu that is vegan and vegetarian friendly, as well as wheat, gluten, dairy, egg, nut, soy, salicylates, amines and monosodium free when necessary.
- Longrain – 85 Commonwealth Street Surry Hills. Longrain is a blend of Thai and southern Chinese cuisine. The bar in the basement is camouflage themed, perfect for drinks or if you just want something light.
- Sababa – Bondi Beach, Newtown and Westfield CBD food court. For the BEST falafels and Middle Eastern food in Sydney you must go to Sababa. It’s really affordable and quick to.
- Harvest Vegetarian Restaurant -71 Evans Street Rozelle. If you are after a more formal evening try Harvest Vegetarian Restaurant. About half their dishes are vegan or can be made vegan.
- Taste Organic – 25 Falcon Street Crows Nest. The place I go for organic produce, skincare, and supplements.
- Vegan’s Choice Grocery – Provides fresh and frozen vegan food, including an amazing range of cakes (some which are sugar free too!) and to die for soya ice cream! 113 King St, Newtown.
What is your favourite veg friendly location in Sydney? Please let us know in the comments below! I hope to see you at Live Healthy Simply in the not too distant future and thank you for being such a gracious host Megan!
Photo copyright Megan Young. For usage contact email@example.com