You know when you buy that 1kg bag of carrots that looked so yummy… and you meant to make carrot sticks, or a grated carrot salad… but didn’t get around it it. I do!
What do you do when you just can’t face another raw carrot… the answer is roast them!
This roast carrot salad is a perfect mid-week meal. You can make it in just over half and hour. It is a perfect side dish or yummy main with the addition of a large scoop of hummus, a handful of cooked beans or lentils or perhaps a hard boiled egg. The large size makes enough for dinner for two plus left overs for lunch the next day.
- 1kg carrots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons water
- 4 cloves garlic
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup wholemeal couscous
- 1 cup hot vegetable stock
- 1 small bunch of fresh mint
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Pre-heat your oven to 180degC.
- Peel the carrots, remove the tops and cut into even sticks.
- Add to a roasting pan with the 1 tablespoon olive oil, water, peeled the sliced garlic and the salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven, tossing occasionally for 30 minutes or until the carrots are soft.
- Meanwhile pour the hot vegetable stock over the couscous in a small bowl, cover and allow to stand until the carrots are cooked.
- Remove the carrots from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Fluff the couscous with a fork until it is light.
- Finely chop the mint.
- Combine the cooked carrots, couscous, mint, chilli flakes, lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil and toss.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- This is a perfect side dish or yummy main with the addition of a large scoop of hummus, a handful of cooked beans or lentils or perhaps a hard boiled egg.