Today I had two very special new mum friends for lunch. I wanted to make something super healthy and sustaining to keep us energised and satisfied. This salad is really easy as you can cook the quinoa ahead of time, stick it in the fridge, and assemble the salad in 2 minutes just before serving (for convenience and maximum freshness). There are eight varieties of Australian pears which are available from early autumn. Fruit is a great addition to salad and crisp and crunchy pears are the perfect compliment to wholesome quinoa, fresh leaves and rich toasted hazelnuts.
We enjoyed this with Holly’s amazing veggie and Za’atar frittata and rounded off a beautiful lunch with Mieke’s dairy free brownies and freshly brewed coffee. With baby Mack tucked up asleep in her cot (for an afternoon nap) I am in yummy lunch heaven.
- 1 cup quinoa (I used a mix of white, red and black)
- 4 large handfuls of mixed salad leaves
- 2 firm pears
- 3 handfuls of toasted hazelnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of dried garlic, salt and pepper
- Cook the quinoa as per the packet instructions and set aside to cool completely.
- Add the cooled quinoa to a large bowl.
- Wash and dry the salad leaves and add to the bowl.
- Thinly slice the pears and add to the bowl along with the roughly chopped hazel nuts.
- Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper and gently stir until well combined.