If you have tried making Falafel at home using one of those box packet mixes I am sure you were disappointed (and are probably still suffering from heart burn). Those things are horrible. One important thing to consider when making your own falafel is that you need to make them from raw soaked chickpeas not cooked tinned ones. If you try this recipe with chickpeas from a can… you will be left with mushy hummus and not falafel. Trust me I have made this mistake!
This recipe I am sharing is made with dried zucchinis to up the veggie content but feel free to make it without. Or, you might like to substitute some other dried veggies like kale or tomatoes.
Oven Baked Falafel
- 3 cups soaked raw chickpeas
- 1 handful of fresh parsley
- 1 handful of fresh coriander
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 cup dehydrated zucchini
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/3 tsp chilli flakes
- salt and pepper
- Add all the ingredients to your food processor and blitz until well combined but still coarse in texture.
- Chill for an hour in the fridge.
- Pre-heat your oven to 180degC.
- Using your hands roll into balls (slightly smaller than golf balls).
- Bake in the oven on a tray with olive oil for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, turn the balls, and bake for a further 20 minutes.
Veggies & Me https://www.veggiesandme.com/