Are you looking for some summer BBQ/picnic inspiration?
By now (in Australia) you are probably starting to attend Festive Season BBQ’s, lunches and picnics. I wanted to put together a recipe perfect for those “bring a dish” occasions. A crowd pleasing, healthy show stopper dish which is full of vibrancy and summer flavour. This one is also perfect for Christmas or New Years Day and will most likely make an appearance on our Festive table.
Panzanella Salad is a traditional Tuscan (Italian) salad combining bread, summer ripe tomatoes, basil and a simple oil and vinegar dressing. The traditional version is delicious especially if you are using aromatic tomatoes. This version includes more of the green stuff (baby Coss lettuce and snow peas) and includes fresh mango for a truly summer in Australia twist.
- 4 large slices of wholemeal (or Miche) sourdough bread
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons pepita seeds
- 2 large handfuls snow peas
- 1 large mango
- 300g small golden or mixed heirloom tomatoes
- 2 heads of baby coss lettuce
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons verjuice
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon mixed dried Italian herbs
- small handful of fresh basil leaves
- Tear the bread into bite size pieces and spread out on a baking tray.
- Slice the garlic cloves thinly and sprinkle over the bread with 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Toss the bread, garlic and oil together and bake in a hot (200degC) oven for 10min or until golden and crisp.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Toast the sunflower and pepita seeds in a hot dry frypan for a couple of minutes (until just turning golden) then allow to cool.
- Remove the tips from the snow peas, blanch for a minute in boiling water, and refresh immediately in ice cold water.
- Cube the mango flesh.
- Wash the baby coss lettuce and tear into bite size pieces.
- Half or quarter the tomatoes (depending on their size).
- Prepare the dressing but combining the 2 tablespoons of oil, verjuice, salt, pepper, dried herbs and finely sliced basil leaves in a small glass jar.
- Ensemble the salad by combining all the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Emulsify the dressing by shaking the jar then pour over the salad.
- Toss and serve.