As Mackenzie is nearing her 6 month milestone she is getting hungrier. Extended day sleeps are getting harder as her belly is empty quickly after her breastfeed. After a couple of weeks of tasting food I have decided it is now time to increase the frequency and quantity of solid food.
Rice Cereal is one of those standard ‘first foods’. After some research I decided to make my own from scratch rather than turning to the boxed supermarket variety. By making it from scratch I know exactly what is in it and have the peace of mind that as a whole food she will be getting maximum nutrition and taste.
- 1 eating apple
- 1/4 cup organic brown rice
- 1 cup water
- Peel, core and chop the apple into a dice.
- Stew with a dash of water in a small saucepan over a medium heat until soft.
- Grind the rice into a flour with your high powered blender (e.g. vitamix, thermomix) or a spice grinder.
- Bring 1 cup of filtered water to the boil in a saucepan.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Sprinkle in 1/4 cup of the rice flour and immediately begin to whisk with a wire whisk.
- Continually whisk for 10 minutes until a rice porridge forms.
- Puree the stewed apple and add to the cooked rice porridge.
- Whisk together and transfer into a clean glass storage container.
- The cooked rice cereal porridge will keep in the fridge for up to a week.
- Retain the left over rice flour for subsequent batches.
- Each morning take out a portion of the rice cereal porridge and reheat in an oven prove dish inside a streamer.
- Serve warm (starting with 1 tablespoon per serving).