Apple or pear purée is one of those things that are really convenient to have on hand. It is prefect as one of baby’s first foods but also make a great breakfast or dessert addition for the whole family. We love it on top of pancakes or waffles with Maple Syrup or with coconut yogurt, nuts, seeds and cocoa nibs for dessert. Apple purée is also a great (vegan/plant-based) addition in baking giving cakes and muffins a lovely moist texture.
You can use any variety of apples. Choose in season and local when you can. Nice sweet apples like Pink Lady make a lovely sweet smooth purée.
- Peel and core 6 apples (if you don’t have an apple corer cut the apple flesh away from the core which a sharp knife.
- Dice the apple into even pieces roughly 3cm in size.
- Add to a heavy based saucepan with 1/4 cup of filtered water.
- Place over a medium heat and stir gently for a couple of minutes.
- Cover with a lid and reduce the heat to low and allow to simmer for 10 minutes or until the apples are soft.
- Blend to a purée using a stick blender or food processor.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Store in the freezer using ice cube trays (for up to 3 months) or in the fridge in an airtight glass container (for up to a week)
*** When using ice cube trays remove the frozen cubes once set and store in clean zip lock bags marked with the contents and date. ***