Once your baby is comfortable with fruits and veggies, grains are a great new addition to their solids diet. There are so many great high quality baby friendly pastas available, many of which, are made from non-gluten grains like spelt and brown rice. My baby loves spelt baby maccaroni. We first introduced the smaller brown rice pasta but she quickly got the gist of chewing and we were able to move into a larger size.
Store bought pasta sauces are notorious for having large quantities of added sugar and salt. Tomatoes are often picked before they are ripe and sugar is added to the sauce instead of simply using sweet sun ripened tomatoes. Cherry tomatoes are usually naturally sweeter than other supermarket varieties and make a great nutritious base for a veggie packed baby pasta sauce. By cooking them whole and including the skins you also include the fruits total available nutrition and fibre.
- 1 punnet of sun ripened cherry tomatoes
- 2 summer squash
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1/4 cup water
- sprinkle dried mixed Italian herbs
- cooked baby pasta
- Half the cherry tomatoes and slice the squash and zucchinis into 1/2cm slices.
- Add to a saucepan with the water and herbs.
- Allow to simmer over a medium heat, with the saucepan lid on, for 10 minutes.
- Purée and stir through cooked baby pasta.
- Freezes well and can be portioned into silicone freezer pods for easy meals (on demand).