Breakfast, for yourself, is hard to wrangle when you have a baby. I love a bowl of fruit with nuts and seeds or some sourdough toast with nut butter, for breakkie, but sometimes it’s not that easy to get it together before baby’s mid morning nap (and it might be lunch time before I eat). Once you start introducing solids, into your baby’s diet, it is a great time to start preparing breakfast that both you and your baby can eat (at the same time).
Iron rich foods are particularly important to introduce to your baby right from the beginning. Both apricots and oats are a great source of iron and combine to make a sweet and comforting breakfast perfect for winter. If your baby is new to solids: puree the baby’s portion of porridge with a stick blender before serving.
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 4 organic (sulphur free) dried apricots
- filtered water
- ground cinnamon
- Measure out the rolled out into a bowl and cover with filtered water.
- Set aside to soak overnight.
- Simmer the apricots in 1 cup of filtered water, in a saucepan, for 10 minutes.
- Mash the softened apricots with a fork.
- Add the soaked oats to the apricots in the saucepan with an additional cup of filtered water.
- Stir until thick for about 5 minutes.
- Top with sliced banana and a sprinkle of ground cinnamon.