Making your own roast peppers is a great idea. They are so expensive to buy and often soaked in low quality canola oil. I tend to keen me eye out for red peppers on sale at the fruit and veggie market and snap them up, a few at a time, when I can.
- Place the whole peppers on a hot BBQ or under a hot grill.
- Carefully turn as each side becomes blackened.
- The cooking time will vary depending on the temperature but it will take roughly 30 minutes for them to become completely soft.
- Place the hot, cooked, peppers in an airtight container (this makes them sweat and the skins peel off) and allow to cool enough to handle.
- Hold the peppers under running water and peel off the skin and discard the core and seeds.
- These will keep for a few days in the fridge coated in a small amount of extra virgin olive oil.