I have posted on how to make easy Almond Milk before but over the years I have perfected my recipe and method and wanted to share my update.
First of all, let me say, buy a jelly bag with a stand. It will really make this easy!
There has been lots of chat in the media recently about how we are all being ripped off when buying Almond Milk. Quite simply that there is hardly any almonds in the carton. Unfortunately this is not the extent of the issues with the store bought varieties. Most of them are sweetened (even if it is not with cane sugar), contain salt and added processed oil (even the organic expensive brands). The thing I don’t like about store bought Almond Milk is that is really doesn’t taste that nice.
Give this simple ALMONDS + WATER method a go. Trust me it is worth the few minutes it takes and your morning cafe latte will never be the same again without it.
How to make easy Almond Milk
1.5 cup organic raw almonds
filtered water for soaking
6 cups filtered water for blending
Jelly Bag with stand
- Cover the 1.5 cup of almonds, in double their volume of filtered water, in a large glass jar or glass jug.
- Set aside overnight.
- In the morning strain and rinse well.
- Blend the soaked almonds with 6 cups of filtered water in your high powered blender for about 1 minute.
- Set up your jelly bag with stand over a large bowl and pour the blended nuts through the bag.
- Allow the liquid to drain into the bowl and use your clean hands to gently squeeze the remaining liquid out of the nut pulp.
- Store in a clean air-tight container in the fridge.
- Sweeten with 1 teaspoon of organic maple syrup if you feel you need to.