The dreaded winter cold has hit me hard this week so a box of beautiful juicy organic oranges from Citrus Australia was just what the doctor ordered. Citrus Australia is this month challenging us, here Down Under, to simply eat a fresh Aussie orange each day for 10 days and enjoy the health benefits. Navel Oranges are currently in season in Australia. This variety is one of the most popular. They are sweet and juicy, rich in orange colour, seedless and easy to peel. They are mainly grown in three southern growing regions – the Murray Valley, the Riverina of NSW and the Riverland of South Australia.
We all know about the high vitamin C content of citrus. Aussie oranges are a naturally packaged source of super nutrients contains antioxidants such as carotenoids, flavonoids and a huge 64mg of vitamin C, which is more than one and a half times the daily recommended dietary intake. All of this healthy goodness will help support your immune system in fighting free radicals, generated when the body is exposed to poor diet, stress and infection. Oranges pack a punch when it comes to nourishing your body. Some of their key benefits include:
- Are rich in antioxidants that help maintain brain function and keep bones and joints in tip top shape as we age!
- Are the richest fruit source of the antioxidant hesperetin, which protect cells as we age!
- May reduce the damaging effects of cholesterol and heart disease by protecting the inside of artery walls.
- Reduce the risk of developing a range of cancers.
- Boost the immune system with all of the recommended vitamin C in take in just one Australian orange!
- Are high in folic acid and ideal for pregnant women with one orange providing 18% of the recommended daily intake.
- Are high in dietary fibre and help prevent bowel problems, improve cholesterol levels and reduce risk of heart disease.
- Are natural sources of sweetness and provide just 2% of your daily energy needs in one medium orange.
Oranges make the perfect dessert… as nature intended it… whole and raw.
To make a nutrient and flavour rich desert in under 5 minutes arange orange slices on a plate and sprinkle with your favourite super foods. I like to use hemp seeds, raw cacao nibs and pomegranate seeds. For a little sweet indulgence drizzle with a teaspoon of organic maple syrup.