Blood oranges are in season at the moment and they are delicious! The Australian blood orange season runs from August to October each year. I am enjoying these citrus delights for my breakfast as part of my breakfast fruit salad ritual but they also are a key ingredient in this delicious classic flour-less orange cake with the Veggies & Me twist.
I have made the classic orange and almond meal cake recipe many times but decided to change things up for these mini cakes with a chocolate, cocoa choc chip version. This cake is lovely and fresh and moist, great for entertaining and freezes well for treats on demand.
- 3 medium un-waxed blood oranges
- 200g coconut sugar
- 6 organic free-range eggs
- 2 cups (250g) almond meal
- 2/3 cup raw cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup cocoa nibs
- Simmer the oranges, covered in water, in a medium saucepan for 45 minutes.
- Drain off the water and pure the whole oranges in your food processor until smooth.
- Allow to cool in another bowl.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Grease a muffin pan.
- Place the sugar in your food processor, add the eggs and process until thick and pale.
- Add the pureed orange and whiz again until smooth, then add the almond meal, cocoa powder and baking powder.
- Whiz until combined.
- Stir in the cocoa nibs.
- Distribute the batter between 10 of the cups in the muffin pan and bake for 20-30 min or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Serve with fresh fruit, diary free coconut yogurt or whipped coconut cream.