As much as I think cheese, especially the artisan varieties, are delicious I try to avoid them. I have found over the years that it is easier to maintain a healthy weight when cheese is not part of my diet. For a vegetarian this can be tricky as many “vegetarian” menu options are heavy on the cheese.
It is however really easy to avoid dairy when cooking at home. There are so many delicious substitutes and alternatives and nut cheese is one of them. Forget processed store bought “vegan cheese” and whip up a batch of this Fennel and Lemon Cashew Cheese.
Use it as you would any other young cheese. I have included a few snaps of this tasty treat on a “cheese board” type platter and as part of a beautiful grilled fennel, cos lettuce and fig salad.
- 200g raw cashew nuts
- filtered water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/8 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fennel fronds
- pinch of salt, ground black pepper and garlic powder
- Soak the cashew nuts, covered with filtered water, for at least 2 hours (if not overnight).
- Drain the nuts and add to your food processor with the rest of the ingredients.
- Combine everything by blitzing to a paste while adding extra water gradually.
- Add enough water as to form a mixture with a comparable consistency to ricotta.