I do really love my morning coffee, however I do worry about the acidic effect it has on my body. I guess I keep things pretty alkaline by eating a diet free of meat and dairy and by packing in the veggies. There is a great way to enjoy your coffee in a much less acidic way. You have probably heard of it… if you live in coffee obsessed Australia. It’s cold filtered coffee. You see it being “brewed” in trendy cafes around town with elaborate sciencey looking filtrations apparatus. The truth is, you don’t need anything that tricky to make it at home.
To make a single serving of cold filtered coffee at home:
- Soak 1/3 cup of coarsely ground organic coffee beans in 1 1/2 cups of cold filtered water in a covered glass jar overnight.
- Filter the coffee through an unbleached paper coffee filter into a clean glass or jar.
- Serve over ice or add to your morning smoothie for an added kick.
- 1 cup cold filtered coffee
- 1 cup almond milk
- 6 ice cubes
- 5 kale leaves with the stalks removed
- 1 tablespoon raw cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon maca powder
- 2 dates with the pit removed
- Blend in your high powered blender until smooth.
- (serves 1)