With the weekend fast approaching I wanted to share a recipe perfect for at home entertaining. Chic eats do not have to be loaded with fat and sugar. By using flavourful veggies and a couple of clever techniques, to maximise flavour and texture, you can make a very special and sophisticated veggie based dish.
Baking lemons with veggies gives a real richness of flavour. The lemons are not meant to be eaten but simply infuse their flavour into the veggies.
Grilling fingers of chilled polenta provides a great crunch which contrasts wonderfully with the smooth inside and the accompanying soft and sweet baked veggies.
- 3/4 cup polenta
- 3 cups hot veggie stock
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic graduals
- salt and pepper
- oil to grease pan and brush on grill
- Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and whisk over a medium/low heat for 20 minutes.
- Pour the cooked polenta into a lightly greased loaf pan.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Turn the solid polenta out onto a board and cut into 8 slices with a sharp knife.
- Lightly brush with oil and grill until crunchy on a griddle pan or in a sandwich press.
- 1 large bulb of fennel
- 1 large red onion
- 1 unwaxed lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cups cooked cannellini beans
- Cut the fennel, onion and lemon into wedges and put in a baking dish.
- Drizzle over the oil, add the water, salt, pepper and mixed herbs then toss.
- Bake in a moderate oven (160degC) for 20-30min or until the fennel is soft.
- Remove from the oven and poor over the cooked cannellini beans.
- Stir and return to the oven for a couple of minutes for the beans to warm.
- **The baked lemon wedges are to be discarded and not eaten**