Choosing a family holiday destination can be a challenge. This year we enjoyed a week to remember in Far North Queensland’s Port Douglas and we loved every minutes of it. To spread the love I have put together my 10 reasons why we love Port Douglas (for a family holiday):
1. This tropical paradise is just a few hours journey from Sydney. We flew from Sydney (3 hours) to Cairns and hired a car to drive the 1 hour north to Port Douglas. The drive along the stunning tropical coast is a memorable experience in itself.
2. Luxury, yet family friendly, houses are widely available to rent. We rented a gorgeous 3 bedroom house, across the road from the beach, just minutes from town, with a spa bath, a luxury kitchen (with all mod cons), heated pool and generally all the comforts from home (and more). The letting company we booked through provided a wooden cot and offered great local area information.
3. Port Douglas Market is one of the best in the country. Set in a stunning location right on the water, at the end of the main street, the market has something for everyone. This is the best place to buy groceries with the farmer’s stalls bursting with the highest quality local produce.
4. Four Mile Beach is such a highlight in Port Douglas. This stretch of idyllic tropical paradise provides a real sense of escape from reality. Even though resorts stretch the full length of the beach they are not visible from the sand, which is a huge triumph in my opinion. We enjoyed the serenity of sunset strolls on the firm sand, which can be easily negotiated with a stroller.
5. Lunch in town. Even in the last couple of years the quality of cafés in town has improved a lot. The once cliché Queensland surf and turf theme across the town’s eating establishments has made way for a handful of new options boasting healthy plant-based meals and top quality juices, smoothness and coffee.
6. Warm days and cool nights. Winter is a great time to visit Port Douglas where you really can have the best of both worlds. The weather is consistently warm and sunny during the day and cool enough for a sound night’s sleep.
7. A wide rang of day trips in the local area with something for everyone. These include the various wildlife and crocodile parks, Mossman George, Cape Tribulation, Skyrail Experience & Kuranda Scenic Railway. The highlight for us was a visit to the Australian Butterfly Sanctuary in Kuranda.
9. Great parks and playgrounds. In the middle of winter a sunny and warm morning in the playground is a fun time for kids and great way to relax for parents.
10. Day spas and cocktails. Port Douglas is chocked full of high end resorts which all boast beautiful day spas… perfect for Mum to have a couple of hours off. You can’t go past a cocktail at sunset at Barbados on the Wharf.