What is inflammation?
Chronic inflammation in the body is a condition where the body remains inflamed for a period of multiple months. This can be due to failure to illuminate an acute inflammatory condition, as a reaction to a dietary or other form of irritant or due to an autoimmune condition.
Conditions commonly associated with chronic inflammation include:
• Rheumatoid arthritis
• Chronic sinusitis
• Crohn’s Disease
It is critical that during your period of recovery you stick to a diet that maintains the body’s natural alkaline balance and without irritation.
10 basic diet tips to fight inflammation
1. Eat your 5 servings of veggies and 2 pieces of fruit EVERY day at the very least.
2. Limit your consumption of meat and dairy. Both meat and dairy are acid forming in the body.
3. Keep well hydrated to allow your body to easily flush out waste.
4. Eat foods rich in fibre like whole fruits and vegetables, whole gluten free grains, nuts, seeds and legumes. A diet rich in fibre aids the body in waste illumination.
5. Avoid or reduce your intake of gluten grains. People’s ability to process gluten varies a lot. If you experience any lethargy, bloating, weight gain, puffiness or skin reactions to gluten remove these foods from your diet completely.
6. Eat plant based foods rich in Omega 3 fatty acids like chia, flax seeds and avocado.
7. Keep snacking healthy and choose fresh fruits and vegetables instead of cakes, biscuits or other refined or processed foods.
8. Avoid trans fats at all cost. Skip foods containing ingredients like “hydrogenated” or “partially hydrogenated oils.”
9. Say no to refined sugars and sweeten foods with fresh fruit, un-sulphured dried fruits, or healthy choice sweeteners like stevia/xylitol.
10. Variety is the spice of life… so load your plate with fresh fruits and vegetables of every colour of the rainbow.