This Potato and Greens Pie recipe is quickly becoming a firm family favourite. Mackenzie has been known to eat the filling before I even had time to put it in the pie!
It might look a little time consuming to make but it really is very simple and can be put together in under 30 minutes. And trust me the little extra effort will be rewarded with enough delicious pie for two family dinners. You will be grinning from ear to ear when you have the second helping waiting in the fridge for another delicious family meal.
This pie could be served with a side salad but I wouldn’t bother. It is everything you need in one delicious pie crust.
Enjoy and let me know if it was a hit at your place.
- 3-4 sheets of frozen puff pastry (dairy free)
- 6 medium potatoes (or 2 medium sweet potatoes)
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large bunch of silver beet or kale
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 small handful of fresh mint
- 2/3 cup tomato ketchup
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/3 cup savoury yeast flakes
- salt and pepper
- olive oil for greasing 20x30cm baking dish
- Take the puff pastry out of the freezer to defrost.
- Peel and dice the potato into 2-3cm cubes and steam until soft then set aside to cool.
- Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic and sauté with the extra virgin olive oil in a large fry pan, over a medium low heat, for 5 minutes.
- Wash and remove the stanks from the silver beet or kale and roughly chop.
- Add the chopped leaves to the frypan with the garlic and onion with a small glug of water and continue to sauté until the leaves are soft (approx. 5 minutes) and water has evaporated.
- Preheat your oven to 220degC.
- Defrost the frozen peas and add them to a large mixing bowl.
- Grate the zucchini and add to the bowl.
- Finely slice the fresh mint and add to the bowl.
- Then add the ketchup, almond meal, yeast flakes, salt and pepper, the steamed potato and sautéed onion, garlic and leaves.
- Mix well with a spoon until just combined.
- Grease the baking tray and line with puff pastry.
- Fill the pastry base with the vegetable mixture.
- Cover with a pastry top and seel the edges by squeezing the pasty together.
- Cut a small slit in the top of the pasty.
- Bake at 220degC for 40-50 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.