When I think Christmas I fondly remember back to my late Grandmother’s trifle. Her version made from store bought jam Swiss Roll soaked in orange juice, custard, jelly and cream. As I kid I thought this was delicious but now it kind of gives me a pain in the stomach just thinking about it. So in typical V&M style I set out to create me own “improved” version making the most of home made banana bread, beautiful in season mangos and creamy coconut chia pudding.
Christmas is looking good at our place… the Christmas hamper fruit and veggie box is ordered and on its way. All we need is great weather for a beach picnic.
- Chia Pudding
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 400ml organic coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon pure Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- other ingredients
- 4 slices banana bread
- 2 mangos
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- Bake a loaf of vegan Banana Bread and allow cool completely.
- Prepare the chia pudding by combining the chia seeds, coconut milk, maple syrup and vanilla extract in a bowl.
- Stir and refrigerate for an hour, stirring regularly, to prevent lumps from forming.
- Cut 4 slices of banana bread into 3cm cubes.
- Dice the mango into 3cm cubes.
- Assemble the trifles in 4 wine glasses.
- Layer cubes of banana bread, then chia pudding and mango and repeat with another layer of each.
- Top with the shredded coconut and serve chilled.