You know its really important to include foods high in vitamins in your diet, right! But minerals need to get a look in too. One of the best sources of dietary minerals are nuts and seeds. The top minerals required by the human body are calcium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, and magnesium. In addition to minerals nuts and seeds are also an awesome source of healthy fats and dietary fibre.
I find home made toasted muesli is a great way to regularly include nuts and seeds in my breakfast. A bowl of berries, some coconut yogurt a sprinkle of this muesli and you might think you have died and gone to breakfast heaven… just saying!
- 500g rolled oats
- 150g fruit, nut a seed mix (trail mix)
- 100g hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons Maple Syrup
- Preheat your oven to 180degC.
- Line two large baking trays with baking paper.
- Pour half the oats, half the trail mix and half the hemp seeds out on each tray.
- Use your hands to combine well.
- Pour 1 tablespoon each of the oil and syrup over each tray of dry ingredients and combine again with your hands.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely before storing in an air tight container.
- Serve with fruit and coconut yogurt for a breakfast of champions.